9/01/2013

[MANNAM ‘PEACE IS POSSIBLE’] INTERVIEW : North Korean volunteer

[MANNAM ‘PEACE IS POSSIBLE’] INTERVIEW : North Korean volunteer

I met special friend last week in orphanage. Kim is from North-Korea. I was curious that why she want to do volunteer in South-Korea.

Q: Kim, it’s so great to see you. Because, you know, My grandfather is from North Korea as well. But, since the Military Demarcation Line has created, he never see or meet his family; he doesn’t know whether they are alive or not. How about you? How do you feeling with this situation?

A: Yes, of course I miss my family. The last touch with my family was 3 years ago since when I got out of North Korea 6 years ago. I am the person who really hopes to bring about the unification between South and North Korea. I will be happy even if I can get in touch with my family. This is the story that must happen in the near future.


Q: Totally I feel the same way. I think you are Korean. But, you must be hard because of something different culture.

A: yeah, still such things happen. Even if I’m speaking in Korean, some of North Korean words sound weird to people. And they get a laugh. One day, my friends asked me to go together ‘Bangsubang방서방’ chicken (Name of famous chicken restaurant.) I asked, “Who is the Bangsubang?” They all laughed out loud. It’s kind of culture gap. But, It makes always happy. Differences could be hard and could be fun to get to know each other.

Q: Why do you want to be a volunteer in MANNAM volunteer association?

A: I naturally got to know one of member of MANNAM volunteer association, working with her at the same company. One of my dreams was going abroad because I was not allowed it in North Korea. Before, it was difficult to have a relationship with foreigners. Maybe, the main reason was unfamiliar with the other cultures. However I can naturally talk with many foreigners by doing volunteer work. When we are doing something good together, we are more likely connected across language. It’s amazing.

Q: What is the memorable volunteer experience?

A: I have my brothers and sisters in North Korea. Now, I can’t see them. I have brothers and sisters in MANNAM volunteer association instead. When I cooked for them, foreign friends were very happy. Every time I explain ‘I’m from north Korea’ in nursing home, old people give me hug or hold my hands. Like this, the memorable moment is when I give something and I take something while I’m volunteering.

Q: Do you think ‘peace is possible’ even in Korea?

A: Absolutely, yeah. I know some people are negative with unification. But for me, I desperately believe it to meet my family again. I think it isn’t just for me.

Q: I believe you will see your family again. I think each of us could be a peace leader since we are hopeful that peace will someday be achieved, so what do you want to do as a peace leader?

A: Well, I liked these words: Understand each other across all borders, religions, races and languages. Understanding will be a clue of peace. Secondly, Unity with foreigners through volunteer: By helping people in need, we could be the one. If reunified, I want to be a wingback between North and South Korea.

2 comments:

  1. ohhh great experience!
    Actually i met North Koreans 5years ago in Vietnam too. They wanted unification more than anyone else. Some people have a discrimination that all North Korean receive millitary training. But it's not true. They are not soldiers. A majority of Korean want reunification of South and North Korea.
    I think the time is coming up very fast.
    Our wisdom will be fulfilled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes it will be soon:)
      For my friend, for my grandfather, I want reunfication of South and North Korea. Still many people in the world, they had no idea that we can't meet each other with DMZ.

      Delete