2/05/2013

MANNAM: Mt.Bukhan Oak Tree Preservation Project

On 2012 Earth day, I went to Seoul to Mt. Bukhan for MANNAM volunteering event.

The forest of Mountain Bukhan is one of the biggest national parks in Korea.
But this famous nation park was devastated by oak wilt disease.
Therefore,they needs people helps to save trees.
So I decided to particpate the volunteer work!
By the way, what is oak wilt disease?

Oak wilt is a fungal disease that kills oak trees.
When tree is infected with Oak wilt, the fungus Ceratocystis fagacearum blocks the path of carrying the water and minerals, which kills the tree at the end.

(Actually I didn't know about it before I participated in MANAM oak tree preservation Project. :-)

Our initial plan was to wrap the tress with roll trap to prevent the spread of oak wilt disease. On the roll trap, there is some solution that kills the fungus so, if it can save tree from oak will disease.

BUT THEN!

On the Earth day, the weather was rainy!
Due to rains, I didn't get a chance to involved in wrapping. The roll trap wouldn't be wrapped tightly enough in the raining weather.
Instead, we carried the soil to covered the exposed roots of trees.
There were soil bags that need to be carried to the upper side of mountain.
So all together, we made a long human-line,!
Each of us wore colorful raincoats and passed the soil bag to the person standing on the next one by one and one at the time.

Finally we carried out all the soil bags (it was a lot!)
Because of rain and heavy soil bags, my arm was aching and I was quit tired.

But! I think it was all worthy.
I can't live without oxygen. I am taking privilege from the air that provided by trees, actually not only me. But all of us.
It was a good time since I can give back that unconditional love from natural.  

Not only that, while I participated in Mt.Bukhan Oak tree Preservation Project, I had chance to talked with other volunteers who came from various countries. Across the nations and race, we did volunteer work together as human-being who want to thank back to natural who provide air to us unconditionally.   

I go to Seoul sometimes, but my visit to Seoul for MANNAM volunteer work on Earth day, would be my most meaningful trip to Seoul.

Here are asome youtube link for MANNAM volunteer work:
Bukhan Mt. Oak Tree Prservation Project!!

Mannam 2012 Earth Day Event - Promo1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V46JMw2lp7s
Mannam 2012 Earth Day Event - Promo2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaTT1UcG8Sk
 Mannam 2012 Earth Day Event - Promo3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaTT1UcG8Sk
   

2 comments:

  1. Oak wilt disease will stop your oaks from completely maturing if it strikes young enough, it can even bring down adults if fast enough.

    -Samudaworth Tree Service
    Tree Removal Brooklyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That is why MANNAM went to prevent Oak wilt disease and save the trees.

      Delete