7/21/2013

[MANNAM International] interview Korean volunteers

[MANNAM International] interview Korean volunteers
  
I visited the place where MANNAM international volunteers are preparing for upcoming orphanage volunteer. I wanted to watch the process of how they prepare before they do volunteer. I was lucky to meet two Korean young men. They are Park and Jun-sung. They were making some material of activity for children. “No matter how we prepare before volunteer, I used to feel it’s not enough when we get there.” Jun-sung said. 





Q: I think volunteer work is really not popular for youth in Korea. What would you like to accomplish in the future?

P: I want to become an international lawyer. During my high school years, I’ve usually watched world news and I found myself I can’t put up with injustice. To make better world, I want to devote for something worth to do.

J:  I want to become an educator of English. What I really hope to accomplish for children is the change of Educational System. While I was in the army, I taught English and mathematics at children’s center. At that time, I realized that the way I have learned English in school was not helpful for speaking with foreigners. So, now I’m preparing for a civil service exam while volunteering.


    

Q: That’s good to see, both of you are passionate about dream. Is there any particular memorable volunteer work or event in MANNAM? Tell me your episode!

J: I just remember my first volunteer. The outside of the building was full of snow when we visit the nursing home. It was massive work shoveling snow even if we worked together. After finish our work, one of manager of nursing home served us hot tea and that was unforgettable moment of happiness. I guess we might shovel snow with one though, keep a safe elderly people from dangerous slippery road.

P: For me, it’s Mongolian festival. I wanted to be more familiar with Mongolian friends. That’s why I participated in Mongolian festival and I got to know about Mongol by joining activities like wrestling and shooting. I changed my mind through participating culture program.



Q: What is the advantage of volunteering with foreigners?

J: You know, when I work with them, I can’t complain it’s hard or tough. It is heartening to see the foreigners in volunteer work because it’s very thankful. By talking and volunteering with foreigners at the same time, I think it makes good use of my time. It’s interesting and sometimes it changes my mind like education. In real, one of motivations to transform the system of Korean education is from conversation with German friend.


Q: Do you think PEACE IS POSSIBLE?

J: Yes. If we have a strong leader advocate peace, Peace is possible.

P: It’s possible. I think the role of media is important to bring world peace. Recently, I think there is some of part the media caused democracy movement over the Middle East. We could make it if we can spread peaceful message throughout the world. 


Thanks again to these two healthy Korean guys who answered my questions J  








4 comments:

  1. What a great idea!!
    It is awesome. *_*
    I also teach Korean to my foreign students, so I wanna try this, too. :))

    ReplyDelete